If you collect a lot of notes, snippets and website links over the day managing all those can be a real pain.
Notational Velocity is a way to take notes quickly and effortlessly using just your keyboard. You press a shortcut to bring up the window and just start typing. It will begin searching existing notes, filtering them as you type. You can use ⌘-J and ⌘-K to move through the list. Enter selects and begins editing. If you’re creating a new note, you just type a unique title and press enter to move the cursor into a blank edit area.
nvALT 2 is a fork of the original Notational Velocity with some additional features and interface modifications, including MultiMarkdown functionality.
NOTATIONAL VELOCITY FEATURES
- Option for horizontal layout with multi-line previews in notes list
- Words between [[double-brackets]] will become links to other notes
- Tags are synced to Dropbox and searched by Spotlight, via OpenMeta
- Tags are auto-completed while typing in the tag-entry field
- TaskPaper-compatible strikethrough formatting using the “@done” tag
- Fully plain-text-based automatic list-bullet formatting
- Note-titles inside double-brackets are (optionally) auto-completed
- “Show in Finder” command for revealing selected note-files on disk
- Highlighting of search terms can be disabled
- Dragging the divider to the top or left of the window will hide search field
- Open in external text editor
NVALT ADDITIONAL FEATURES
- Textile and (Multi)Markdown support with Preview window (hold down Control to view temporarily)
- HTML source code tab in the Preview window for fast copy/paste to blogs, etc.
- Unique interface design changes
- Customizable HTML and CSS files for the Preview window
- Social note sharing via Peggd
- Convert imported URLs to Markdown, and optionally strip excess content with Readability
- Multi-note tagging with autocompletion
- Full-screen mode (requires OS X 10.5 or higher)
- Optional menubar and menubar-only modes
- Color schemes
- User customizable
- Collapse/Expand notes list and search field
- Improved readability with optional width limit and margins
- Really cool scrollbars
- Word Count (hold down Option to view temporarily)
- Working localizations (French, German, Portuguese)
Both versions are free to use use and open-source under the GPL.
Download NOTATIONAL VELOCITY
Download NVALT 2.0